Monday, September 28, 2009

Opened doors Slammed in your face

So today was just one of those days. The type of day where you wake up and go "Im not getting up until its as warm out there as it is in here". Yeah it was a wonderful 45 degrees this morning and didn't change all day. So naturally it set the mood for the whole day to be a monumental failure.

Of the many classes I've taken, sculpture was the one i was putting off until the end. Why? Cause i hate it why else. I love sculptures and there are some amazing works out there but really you'll never see an amazing sculpture by Jake Kidney. Anyway our latest project had us cutting out layers of wood (OSB honestly who invented the stuff? Someone should smack them in the face if they are still alive. If not oh well i have connections, you know the mexican the size of a fridge, giant sombrero.) and stacking them on top of each other to form a shape. So after tons of splinters and shaking hands with an electric grinder i finally have this mass of something just sitting there. So naturally the next step was to stain it... an awful poo colored brown that takes away any sort of natural beauty that OSB is some how supposed to have. So now I'm sitting there thinking "hmm this looks like a giant turd". Right when I start pondering if i could turn it in and call it "Sculpture Class" my teacher comes up and says "You probably should have tested your stain out on something."... My temper is starting to rise now and I'm really fighting the urge to throw my giant turd through the class room specifically aimed at that particularly over doing it suck up on the other side of the room. Long story short class ends and I'm stuck with the solution of using stripper to remove the stain. Nice long crappy start of the day.

Then comes the really bad part. Lately I've been wondering what I'm going to do when i graduate. I mean really I'm done in two months and have no plan. While i was talking to a professor i am told that in order to do any type of teaching I have to get an MA or an MFA.. (Master of Arts, Master of Fine Arts). Bummer I'm drained I hate school already and now if i want to do anything with the last four years of my life I have to continue doing school. Yay.. Bastards... So i go to talk to whoever it is that sits in that office and tells everyone what they need to do. He says oh yeah do your MA it only adds a year and you can teach at a community college or high school. Sounds good to me where do i sign up. Guess what... there is a small hitch.. We can't let you into our MA program because you have already been doing classes here for 4 years and you have already had the MA teacher and in short exhausted the amount he can teach you... So i can't do my MA here.. No.. can't do my MFA here.. No... Where is the closest I can go... 2.5 hours away... go figure. Ok i suppose i should explain a little something. I'm dating this girl and we are getting serious and we want to get married. She doesn't want to get married till she graduates. No problem I'm cool with that. Only problem.. She graduates a year after I do. And she wont leave the midwest/ within and hour of home. I'm stuck here. So then i think well maybe I can be an Adjunct thats a good way to get experience and then get a foot in the door.. No you have to have an MA for that...BASTARDO **SMACK**... Ok i didn't hit the guy... I thought it really hard though. Ok screw this I'm going to my room, which... smells like last nights pasta primavera and spray fix.

Then i decide I'm going to take my frustration out on my sculpture. That little turd is going to look like a slightly less brown turd if i had anything to say about it. Yeah sucka whad up now yo! Boyee! That was me talking smack to my sculpture when i got back to the studio... Sculpture kicked my ass... Turd-2, Jake-0, I hate this game. Apparently OSB absorbs like a depressed female and a pail of triple chocolate extra fudge and chocolate chips heart attack heaven. The stain soaked in for a good oh centimeter, and well the striping agent wasn't taking any off. So in my frustration i dumped half the bottle of stripper on the turd and I will figure out what to do with it tomorrow.

So yes today sucked. Most of it was a waste and had i actually stayed in bed I may have prevented a day of possible exposure to whatever strain of flu they are whining about now. I think they are on some critter again. Just call it the your sick and so is your critter flu.

Oh the good news: The day is done. I'm alive, I feel healthy, and I like digital photography a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Just an update on the sculpture. I got a 40/50 on it which was more than i thought i would get. But i still hated it and so I burned it. The picture will be up soon.

    ReplyDelete